The California king size bed has become an exceptionally popular option in bedroom furniture. Paired with one of the best online mattresses, this size bed can definitely help you sleep better at night, ensuring there is plenty of space for you alone or you and a partner.
The one thing most shoppers are concerned with when buying a bed this size is making sure the mattress and frame fit well together. There are a lot of these frames on the market, and pairing a frame that doesn’t work with, for example, one of the best mattresses for back pain would be a waste of money. So, taking some time to do research on the best California king bed frames is critical.
The Best California King Size Bed Frames
With so many options to choose from, finding one of the best California king size bed frames for your master bedroom can seem challenging. You have to take into consideration your budget, space, and decorating preferences in addition the mattress.
After looking at a large number of options currently on the market at the moment, we filtered down the many options to 10 that we think are the best California king size bed frames.
The Zinus Gerard Deluxe Faux Leather Upholstered Platform Bed is a modern and stylish option. This product offers a faux leather finish along with padding on the sides and on the built-in headboard. The frame itself is made from quality wood and features a slat system, which means you don’t need a separate box spring for the mattress. This is a pricier option compared to some others on our list of best California king size bed frames.
The padding is made from polyurethane foam and is covered in faux brown leather. A footboard is also included for improved mattress stability and to provide the bed with a better structure for your body as you lay down in bed.
Strengths We Love:
- The simple yet elegant bed frame has a contemporary appeal that also lends itself well to virtually any bedroom décor. This can be a single’s or a couple’s bed, as well as a bed for all genders.
- The padded headboard combined with the near-black fake leather upholstery make it look more expensive than it is! But it comes with a reasonable price to suit your budget.
- The steel framework makes for a sturdy and strong frame that can support up to 500 pounds of weight, both the mattress and the users. The design ensures that there’s less pressure on the headboard and footboard, and there’s even weight distribution across the frame.
- The nearly 10-inch underbed clearance is great for storage and cleaning purposes.
- There’s no need for a box spring, thanks to the sturdy wood slats that also contribute to longer mattress life.
- This is relatively easy to assemble since all the parts and tools including the instructions are included with the package. Assistance is optional.
- The frame comes with a 5-year limited warranty.
Things to Consider:
- With the slats being flush with the edges, there’s a possibility of the mattress sliding a few inches off the frame during vigorous activity. But the mattress usually sits tight, so to speak.
OMR Advantage Score: 9.5/10
The Best Master Furniture YY129 Vero Tufted Wingback Platform Bed is another modern frame that is a perfect fit for any standard California king mattress. The frame is also in the higher range price-wise but features a stylish finish with a black fabric cover over padding for extra support and comfort. It also comes with a headboard.
The frame is made of wood and comes with a built-in slat base so it, too, does not require an additional box spring. Shipping is free, and assembly is required.
Strengths We Love:
- The wooden frame has a rustic appeal to it without compromising on its contemporary design and durable construction. The black color makes for easy integration into a modern bedroom due to its neutral quality.
- The headboard has a tufted look that accentuates its linen cover. Since it’s like a blank canvas, attractive accessories like fairy lights may be added for extra appeal.
- The slats are sturdy enough on their own so an extra foundation is unnecessary. Just place the mattress directly over the slats and voila!
- The low profile may be suitable for people with limited reach, but it can be an issue for tall people or with joint issues. This can be resolved by using a thicker mattress, which will increase the bed’s overall height.
- The frame’s durable construction means it will last for several years with proper care, such as no jumping and other extra-vigorous activities on it.
Things to Consider:
- The frame requires assembly but it’s easy enough with a few parts and basic tools.
- A few customers say that there some missing pieces when they received the package, but it was soon resolved.
OMR Advantage Score: 9/10
Those looking for a minimalist-style bed frame without any added detailing should consider the Zinus Justina Quick Snap Standing Mattress Foundation. The product is priced reasonably and comes in three fabric colors sure to fit any decor: navy, beige, and gray. The material is made from 100% polyester.
The Zinus Justina Quick Snap Standing Mattress Foundation has seven legs for stability and a 9-inch base. The total height of the frame is 16 inches, providing some storage space beneath the bed. Assembly is quick and easy thanks to the Quick Snap TM assembling system (which is a patent-pending feature from the Zinus brand) and why it makes our list of the best California king size bed frames. If that wasn’t enough, this bed frame comes with a five-year limited warranty and free shipping.
Strengths We Love:
- The combination of materials attests to the modern approach to frame manufacturer of its maker. The seven solid wooden legs have a traditional appeal aside from being sturdy enough to withstand the weight of a thick mattress and a couple of users. The steel frame provides a strong foundation for the mattress – and it doesn’t bend, warp and rust easily, too. The poly cover has an aesthetic appeal while also protecting the frame from the elements.
- This frame was awarded the Good Design Award by the Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture and Design in 2019. Many buyers said that it sealed the deal for them.
- The easy assembly aspect is surprising considering that it seems like a complicated frame. This is due to the innovative Quick Snap design that features elastic loops and hooks; there are no bolts, nuts and nails used in its construction.
- There’s no need for a separate purchase of a box spring. The wooden legs can also be removed so the frame has a lower profile.
Things to Consider:
- The price is slightly higher than most king-sized frames.
OMR Advantage Score: 9/10
The ZIYOO 14-Inch Wooden Slats Platform Bed Frame is another bed frame with a very minimal design for those who don’t want a bed that takes up a huge amount of space. The product is offered at a price that is average for a California king bed frame. It’s 14 inches in height, tall enough for adequate storage space underneath. This bed is available in other sizes as well.
The ZIYOO 14-Inch Wooden Slats Platform Bed Frame comes in black and features a reinforced metal framework for better durability for sleepers of all sizes, and it also has built-in wooden slat system, which eliminates the need for a separate foundation or box spring. This is also a noise-free frame that helps you sleep without disruption, and the frame is compatible with separate headboards and footboards.
The Mellow BP-E-BKK Rocky Base E 14″ Platform Bed is another minimalist option with a reasonable price tag. It includes free shipping within the United States. The entire frame is made of steel, and a heavy-duty slat system improved support for whatever mattress you choose. All these things together are why this bed frame makes our list of the best California king size bed frames.
The Mellow BP-E-BKK Rocky Base E 14″ Platform Bed also has a moderate height of 14 inches from the ground with 11 inches of storage space underneath. Assembly does not require any special tools, and instructions are provided. The product comes in black and is available in five sizes apart from California king. You also get a five-year manufacturer’s warranty.
The AmazonBasics Mattress Foundation offers an ideal solution for those who are on a tight budget. The product offers a quality supportive structure underneath your mattress while coming in at an average cost for the California king size. It features a lower profile compared to many competitor models, with a height of just 9 inches. Other models offered are even lower to the ground at 5 inches.
The AmazonBasics Mattress Foundation is compatible with spring, hybrid, and foam mattresses. The bed is made of steel, and there are multiple legs for sturdiness and durability. A zipped cover is used to provide coverage to the top and bottom of the foundation itself and can be removed for cleaning. Assembly does not require special tools, and the foundation can be folded for storage when not in use. The AmazonBasics Mattress Foundation also comes with a one-year warranty.
Next on our list of the best California king bed frames is the Classic Brands Hercules Platform Metal Bed Frame. This heavy-duty frame comes at a lower price for the California King option and features an ergonomic design—adding to the value. It is available in a variety of colors including black and features a built-in foundation that replaces the need for a more traditional box spring.
The Classic Brands Hercules 14″ Platform Metal Bed Frame also has 13-inches of storage space underneath. The frame is foldable, and the metal used in the construction is very sturdy. The product comes with free shipping within the U.S. Brackets for headboard or footboard are sold separately.
The SLEEPLACE 18-Inch High Profile Heavy Duty Steel Slat Bed Frame is perfect if you want one of the best California King size bed frames that aren’t overwhelming in your bedroom. While the product does not come with a headboard, the manufacturer has kept the rest of the design pretty basic. The frame 18-inches in height—a higher than many of its competitors. But this also means there is more storage space under the bed.
The SLEEPLACE 18-Inch High Profile Heavy Duty Steel Slat Bed Frame comes at a price that is comparable to other California King bed frames and includes a slat system made from durable metal. It also comes with a five-year warranty.
The PrimaSleep 18 Inch Ultimate Strength High Profile Heavy Duty Steel Slat Bed Frame is another affordable option on our list of the best California king size bed frames. It includes free shipping in the United States. The entire frame is made of metal, combining stability and strength for improved support. It features an anti-slip system that helps keep the mattress from creeping along smooth surfaces. PT-3000 steel is used in the construction of the frame.
The PrimaSleep 18 Inch Ultimate Strength High Profile Heavy Duty Steel Slat Bed Frame also makes no noise, and the reinforced legs increase the bed’s stability. This bed does require assembly. Instructions are included, and assembly requires no power tools.
Last on our list of the best California king size bed frames is the Homdock 14 Inch Metal Platform Bed Frame. This bed frame is sturdy and made from quality metal, which ensures it will be able to support the mattress and the people sleeping on it. The bearing capacity of the frame is greater than some of the competitor frames you will find. The frame is also designed to be free noise-free and also has a nonslip feature.
There are two California king models available depending on the type of mattress you have purchased, so those specifications will be necessary before you buy this product. The frame comes at a price of less than average and also features free shipping and a five-year warranty.
If you are in the market for a larger bed that offers the maximum amount of comfort at night, a California King size bed frame and an appropriate mattress may be just the ticket. Take a good look at our top 10 picks to see which one might offer a perfect fit for your budget, space, mattress, and design preferences.