Lower back pain is one of the major disabling health conditions present in adults over the age of 60. As our bodies age, there are a lot of degenerative effects such as the breakdown of cartilage between the facet joints in the spine. On top of that, back pain is one of the most expensive health problems to have and it can exacerbate other conditions especially by inhibiting sleep. Investing in a good mattress that is going to provide with adequate support is an important part of dealing with back pain.
All of these in this top ten list were ranked on two important factors: value for the cost, and the quality of the product. One of these mattresses will help you minimize back pain and get better sleep. Better sleep will help you lead a healthier life with lower stress, less inflammation, and a longer lifespan.
Here is our list of the 10 best mattresses for seniors with back pain. See our Methodology regarding how we score the products on Online Mattress Review.:
The it Bed is a very high-tech bed that will revolutionize the way that you sleep, especially if you share a bed with someone who has a different opinion about firmness and even temperature. This bed is made with a foam blend and has adjustable air chambers that allow you to make the bed softer or firmer depending on your own personal preference. It also allows you to adjust the temperature if you have trouble keeping warm or keeping cool throughout the night.
Strengths We Love:
- This is probably the most high-tech, commercially available mattress available. With its built-in sensors and integrations with Nest, FitBit and other fitness-related companies, the It Bed tracks you and your partner’s heart and respiration rates.
- While the mattress itself is uber-comfortable as is, it has a smart feature that allows customization of firmness, thanks to its two inner chambers. This is an excellent feature for people with back pain whose firmness-related needs are different from others.
- The mattress can be installed over a platform-style slatted bed frame provided that they are the same size. There’s no need to buy the frame and base from Sleep Number if you already have one in your home or you prefer a base from another manufacturer.
- Setting it up is so simple since it’s delivered in a single large box. Just take it out of its box – or tear the box – before setting it on its frame. Be sure to give it time to achieve its full, natural shape. (Tip: Position the small green tag in one of its corners at the foot of the frame)
- The instructions for setting up the smart features are understandable and easy to perform, too.
Things to Consider:
- Many users point out that there are glitches resulting in possible inaccuracies in sleep, heart, and respiration data.
- Achieving the right firmness for you can be a bit difficult – you can’t be sitting or lying down on the bed while inflating or deflating it.
OMR ADVANTAGE SCORE: 9/10
2. Tomorrow Hybrid Mattress
The Tomorrow Hybrid Mattress is one of the highest rated mattresses on the internet. A hybrid mattress combines coils and memory foam so that you can reap the benefits of both. This mattress has an individual support pocketed coil system in which each coil moves individually to perfectly isolate motion so you won’t disturb anyone else in the bed with you, and so your body is strongly supported regardless of your sleep position. That is topped with both a gel swirl memory foam for body-contouring pressure relief and a cooling memory foam top coating designed by NASA that regulates your body temperature in real-time.
Strengths We Love:
- This mattress provides exceptional comfort and support for people with back pain, thanks to a combination of individually-pocketed innerspring coils and layers of foam. The comfort aspect comes from the body-contouring memory foam while the support comes from the coils, which also reduces motion transfer.
- People who sleep hot, so to speak, will find the mattress’ cooling technology to their advantage. You will not only sleep with your body, particularly your back, well-supported but you’re less likely to sweat; memory foam tends to be hot without a cooling technology.
- It’s free of toxins, allergens and other possibly harmful materials used in mattress manufacturing. You don’t have to deal with the added stress of respiratory and skin issues brought by typical memory foam mattresses.
- This mattress can fit in all types of foundation, such as box spring, flat platform or slatted base.
- The manufacturer offers a 10-year Serta Simmons warranty as well as a risk-free, 365-day return policy.
Things to Consider:
- A few reviewers say that the bed isn’t medium firmness as advertised, but it may well be a matter of personal opinion.
OMR ADVANTAGE SCORE: 8.5/10
3. Layla Mattress
The Layla mattress is the only mattress that is made out of copper-infused foam that comes in a 2-in-1. One side of the mattress is soft and the other is firm so that you can decide how you’d like to sleep and easily change your mind if your needs change. The copper-infused foam offers incomparable deep compression support, so any part of your body that has a tendency to sink down too far in a foam mattress can get extra support and keep your spine aligned.
Strengths We Love:
- The duality of mattress – a soft and a firm side in one product – means that seniors with back pain can choose which side to sleep on based on their preferred sleeping position. Side sleeping is best on the soft side as the mattress provides more comfort and less pressure on the hips, shoulders and neck; back and stomach sleeping aggravates back pain. Back and stomach sleeping are best on the firm side since there’s more support for the spine.
- The multiple layers contribute to an awesome sleeping experience every time, too. The soft cover is made of a heat-dissipating material that keeps the mattress’ top really cool. The comfort layers consisting of copper-infused memory foam and support foam allows maximum airflow while also providing excellent comfort.
- With its durable materials and construction, it should last for 10 years or so with proper maintenance.
- It comes with a 120-night trial period and the option to donate it to a local charity if you’re not satisfied with it after at least two weeks of use. You will also get a full refund upon submission of proof of donation.
Things to Consider:
- There may be a small off-gassing issue but it should be gone within 48 hours after it has been allowed to air out in a ventilated room.
- There may be a minor issue about sleeping hot for susceptible people.
OMR ADVANTAGE SCORE: 8/10
4. Cedar Mattress
The Cedar Mattress is 100% natural and eco-friendly but hasn’t cut any corners on quality. It is a hybrid mattress that has a core of strong coils with extra coils in the lumbar area to provide exquisite spinal support and stronger coils in the side so you don’t have to worry about rolling off. The latex has been computer-designed and cut to have different types of grooves in the shoulder, back, and leg areas so that each area of your body is receiving individualized pressure relief. The mattress is naturally antimicrobial and is even suitable for adjustable bases.
5. Helix Mattress
The Helix Mattress is a completely individualized mattress. The website will ask you about your sleeping preferences like position, firmness and if you tend to be too hot or too cold; it also asks about your height, weight, age, and any potential pressure points. From your answers, Helix will build you a completely custom mattress that is engineered to meet your needs and give you the most comfortable sleep possible. Helix makes hybrid mattresses with microcoils for amazing pressure relief, polyfoam in a perfect density to support your body type, and a proprietary Dynamic foam for enhanced comfort, cooling, and contour.
6. Casper Mattress
The Casper Mattress is an incredible memory foam mattress that was expertly designed by a research and design team to give you the best night’s sleep that you could dream of. The top layer is made of a soft and durable open-cell foam that allows hot air to escape and keep you cool and that is supported by a high-density memory foam that won’t sink or wear out. In the middle of the mattress, there is a zoned transition foam that provides you with extra pressure-relief for your lower back and hips while cradling your shoulders perfectly. This mattress was named one of Time magazine’s best inventions.
7. Loom & Leaf by Saatva
Saatva’s Loom and Leaf mattress is eco-friendly, American-made, and designed to provide a luxurious sleep experience. All of the foam layers that comprise the mattress are breathable and durable to keep you cool and comfortable. The Spinal Zone Gel layer is a proprietary gel memory foam that provides you with optimal back support without holding heat and it lays on top of premium memory and support foam to relieve pressure and contour to your body. It is covered with a quilted organic cotton that is naturally flame retardant.
8. TEMPUR-Cloud Elite
The TEMPUR-Cloud Elite mattress is made out of a thicker and softer variety of the unrivaled TEMPUR material. TEMPUR material was originally based on NASA’s research to develop a new material for aircraft seats; Tempur-Pedic pioneered memory foam mattresses and their mattresses strike a perfect balance between firmly supporting your body and relieving pressure while keeping you incredibly comfortable. Another great feature about this mattress is that the top cover zips off for easy washing and replacing if necessary.
9. The Winkbed Luxury Firm
The Winkbed Luxury Firm is the brand’s most popular model. It is a hybrid mattress and each one is handmade-to-order right here in the USA. Its combination of springs and designer foam provide users with the comfort of body contour and unbeatable pushback support. The support springs provide localized pressure relief to keep your spine aligned and support your joints while the combination of stabilizing gel foam and hypersoft foam reduces motion transfer, distributes your weight, and cradles your body without compromising buoyancy or feeling too hard.
10. PlushBeds Botanical Bliss Organic Latex Mattress
The PlushBeds Botanical Bliss Organic Latex Mattress is a chiropractor-recommended natural latex mattress. There are three layers inside the mattress that are calibrated to different levels of firmness that you can rearrange to your liking for optimum comfort. Also inside is a wool barrier that promotes body temperature regulation. It is all contained by a non-woven cotton cover that has been proven to provide you with better pressure relief while remaining breathable.
Back pain is no laughing matter and, thus, the choice in a comfortable and supportive mattress should be taken seriously. You must first consider your unique needs, such as your preference in firmness, budget and features, when looking at these mattresses. Rest assured that we only chose the ones that have been proven effective in ensuring restful sleep among seniors!