When you think of camping you often think of sleeping in a sleeping bag on the cold, hard ground, or on a stale cot, but why not consider a camping mattress for couples!?
Yet, while camping can be fun, no one wants to end up sleeping on the ground due to leaky air mattresses. That’s why it’s important to choose a quality air mattress.
And, if you’re going to share your tent with a partner or friend, it’s worth choosing one of the best camping mattresses for couples to make sure you enjoy your night out under the stars.
The Best Camping MattressES for Couples
While there are lots of camping air mattresses available, picking the best one for a couple is a little more complicated. First, you need to consider how much space you’ll need to sleep comfortably — do you need a queen-size mattress or one that will fit in your backpacking tent?
Next, you’ll want to think about your budget, as well as the kind of camping you’ll do.
Considering these factors makes it easier to make the right choice for you. With these choices in mind, we analyzed some of the top-rated air mattresses to narrow down the field. Here’s our guide to the best camping mattresses for couples.
See our Methodology regarding how we score the products on Online Mattress Review.
1. ALPS Mountaineering Velocity Air Bed
I love to camp (but roughing it… is not for me); therefore, this queen-size air mattress is great for those like me who enjoy the comforts of home while still enjoying the outdoors. The queen option is great for sharing or is plenty of room for an individual to spread out in comfort.
The ALPS Mountaineering Velocity Air Bed is our pick for the best camping mattress for couples. It offers outstanding performance in terms of quality and durability as well as comfort, especially when compared to some of its competitors.
The ALPS Mountaineering Velocity Air Bed is a camping mattress that uses a special type of technology to reduce the risk of air escaping during the night. That means that you and your partner can be confident that you won’t wake up on the ground in the middle of the night, a sure way to ruin a camping trip. The price of this particular air mattress is on the higher side, but its quality makes it worth the investment.
Plus, while it’s an ideal camping mattress, the Velocity Air Bed also doubles as a comfortable mattress for when guests visit your home, saving you from having to maintain a guest room or futon.
You can click here to visit Alps Mountaineering’s Amazon Store for more options from this bedding store.
STRENGTHS WE LOVE
- Once this camping mattress is fully inflated, it’s so comfortable that it feels like a foam mattress instead of an air mattress. There’s little bounce so it still provides a firm surface that provides sufficient support for the body. The built-in coil system adds a touch of luxury while also ensuring a more even weight distribution.
- The synthetic polyester oxford fabric makes its surface softer to the touch than expected, thus, a layer of blanket may be unnecessary.
- The rechargeable pump can be quickly hooked up to both wall and car chargers, which means it can be used in indoor and outdoor situations. It comes with three types of adapters, too.
- Using the pump, the mattress can be fully inflated in a couple of minutes. It can also be deflated using the same pump.
- The mattress is lightweight, just over five pounds, but it can carry the weight of adults up to 500 pounds. It also deflates to just 118.5×8.5 inches from a fully-inflated size of 56x80x6 inches.
- This comes with free shipping and a 30-day return policy.
Things to Consider:
- This is a fairly large mattress so it isn’t suitable for backpacking. Its best uses are for car camping and the like.
- A few reviewers say that it’s harder than they expected, akin to sleeping on concrete, although the addition of a topper makes it softer and more comfortable to sleep on.
- Neither lifetime nor limited warranty provided by the manufacturer.
OMR ADVANTAGE SCORE: 9/10
2. Coleman Camping Cot
Sleeping on the ground level isn’t for everyone. That’s why I prefer a cot that will lift me up off the cold hard tent floor. This frame is sturdy and functional. I just need some comfy sheets and a sherpa blanket and they can wake me up when breakfast is ready!
If you’re looking for a camping mattress for couples that comes with a built-in base so you sleep at the same height as a regular bed, the Coleman Camping Cot might be the perfect one for you and your partner. While its price tag is also on the higher side, this air mattress’ quality and overall features are worth the cost.
The durable steel frame can provide support for a total weight of 600 pounds, making it an ideal camping mattress for many couples. However, if you’re low on space for a car camping trip, you can also remove the mattress from the frame and leave the frame at home.
The Coleman Camping Cot has a special airtight design guaranteed to keep all air in the mattress for the entire night. It includes a battery-operated pump, which makes camping easier, and comes with a one-year limited warranty.
You can click here to visit Coleman’s Amazon Store for more options from this bedding store.
Strengths We Love:
- The 600-pound weight capacity is more than most camping cots can provide! This is made possible through the strong and stable all-steel frame that features multiple legs for extra support.
- Once fully inflated, the mattress provides such a comfortable and supportive sleeping surface that it feels like you’re sleeping on a typical mattress. The combo of coil construction and leak-proof air mattress ensures that it stays inflated all throughout the night, too.
- The sewn-in cover prevents the mattress from slipping off the cot. The mattress can also be used without the cot or the cot without the mattress; the cot fabric, however, is permanently attached to the zippered mattress sheet. This means more sleeping space when these are used separately.
- The product comes with a one-year limited warranty, free shipping and a 30-day return policy, a combination uncommon in most products of this kind.
- The cot comes with two pull-out side tables for easy use and storage, as well as cup holders. This is the ultimate sleeping cot for campers who like to drink and enjoy the good life.
- Other convenient features include a battery-operated pump (batteries not included), a carry bag with wheels on the side for easy transport and storage, and a lightweight design.
Things to Consider:
- You can’t sleep in the middle of the cot lest your back comes into uncomfortable contact with the middle bar.
- A few users say that this camping mattress can be a challenge to set up and disassemble.
OMR ADVANTAGE SCORE: 8/10
3. JLDN Air Mattress with Built-in Pump
For comfort and affordability, this would suit me just fine. Its size is perfect to share with someone else or would be great for the kiddos who enjoy camping under the stars or in a tent. It can be inflated quickly and deflated even quicker!
The JLDN Air Mattress Full Airbed measures a whopping 75 x 54 x 9 inches. It is one of the more affordable camping mattresses for couples. It’s the same size as a standard full mattress, so you can use the same sheets you might use on your mattress at home.
According to the manufacturer, this particular airbed/camping mattress can accommodate up to two adults or two children, making it a great camping mattress for families, too.
The JLDN Air Mattress Full Size Airbed can inflate fully within just eight minutes, which is great if you get to your campsite late at night. Deflation also takes just over three minutes, making for quick packing. The mattress can be used indoors and outdoors, so it’s a good option for camping trips or road trips to visit friends and family.
You can click here to visit JLDN’s Amazon Store for more options from this bedding store. Currently, JLDN does not appear to have a company website. They sell through Amazon and other various retailers.
Strengths We Love:
- Made of eco-friendly PVC material, it’s a sturdy mattress that can withstand years of regular use and proper care. There’s no unwelcome odor when it’s first opened and inflated, too.
- The top is made of waterproofed flocked material that feels surprisingly soft to the touch. You can lie on it without bedsheets, if there are none available, although the typical queen-sized bedsheets will make the sleeping experience more comfortable.
- The bottom is made of a non-slip material that prevents the mattress from slipping and sliding around too much.
- Easy to inflate, usually in three minutes’ time, as it is to deflate, fold and store for future use.
Things to Consider:
- It may be too big for some camping situations, such as when it’s used inside a tent where it can take up more space than expected.
OMR ADVANTAGE SCORE: 8/10
4. EnerPlex Never-Leak Twin Air Mattress
Another quick-fill option, this mattress is a perfect option for me (I like my own bed!). Just double your purchase, and your mate can have their own bed, too! Sitting side by side, you can sleep and move around without worrying about shifting air catapulting them onto the tent floor!
Yep… this is. indeed, a twin size air bed… “for couples”. What do I mean? If you are like some of us, you can get a better night’s sleep in your own bed. Your significant other can have their own placed side by side with yours. At under $70 each, check out the EnerPlex Never-Leak Luxury Twin Air Mattress. The manufacturer guarantees that this air mattress will never leak, and offers the customer a two-year warranty.
You also get 30 days to try out the mattress and see whether it truly is the best camping mattress. If you don’t think so, you can return it for a full refund.
The EnerPlex Never-Leak Luxury Twin Air Mattress uses special never-leak technology to retain air and keep your mattress at your desired firmness all night long. Plus, inflation only takes 60 seconds.
The custom coil-beam technology mimics the experience of sleeping on a normal foam or coil-based mattress, so you’ll feel like you’re sleeping in your bed at home. And the material is waterproof, so you can even use it to sleep outside your tent under the stars.
You can click here to visit EnerPlex’s Amazon Store for more options from this bedding store.
5. Etekcity Camping Air Mattress Queen Twin Airbed
There’s nothing like togetherness when camping, but when someone doesn’t get a quality sleep experience…they wake up angry, grumpy, and hard to get along with! I just described myself; however, if you enjoy your sleep as I do, consider this quality mattress at an affordable price.
The Etekcity Camping Air Mattress Queen Twin Airbed is another excellent option that offers great value for your money. It’s accompanied by a two-year warranty period. The first year warranty is provided automatically after purchase, and you can get an additional year warranty by registering your mattress with its manufacturer.
The Etekcity Camping Air Mattress Queen Twin Airbed can support up to 650 pounds, making it a sturdy air mattress for couples. It uses materials that have been tested to be free of phthalates, cadmium, and lead. The PVC used in the construction of this air mattress is also thicker than standard PVC material, providing improved durability so it will last for many camping trips.
You can click here to visit Etekcity’s Amazon Store for more options from this bedding store.
6. Eureka! Rio Grande Camping Queen Air Bed
I love the name of this company, EUREKA! “I have found it”… a great air mattress that is! This one is particularly great for me and hubby because of the stabilization made within it. No more waking him up or vice versa. EVERYBODY gets a good night’s sleep!
Next up is the Eureka! Rio Grande Camping Queen Air Bed. This air mattress has a higher price tag, but it also features the latest technology to make your camping trip more comfortable.
An internal stabilization system helps to absorb movement, making this the best air mattress for couples who are easily disturbed when their partner rolls over in the night. A raised pillow is also integrated into the mattress for added convenience, so you don’t have to pack your pillow from home (although if you have one of our picks for the best pillows, you might want to bring it, too).
The Eureka! Rio Grande Camping Queen Air Bed is a camping mattress for couples that features a soft, suede-like cover that helps keep your sheet or sleeping bag from moving around. On the bottom, there’s a stealth-grip system that helps keep the mattress from sliding around on your tent floor. A rechargeable pump is included, too.
You can click here to visit Eureka’s Amazon Store for more options from this bedding store.
7. Exped MegaMat Duo 10 Insulated Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad
Sometimes air mattresses can be cold as you sleep underneath a cool-filled air bubble. This mattress is different. It is insulated to keep you warm while the temperatures of fall and winter camping can be grueling at night time. Yes, please! Although it’s a little pricier than most, it’s worth it!
Do you want to feel like you’re back home while you’re sleeping in the woods? You should definitely take a look at the Exped MegaMat Duo 10 Insulated Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad.
It’s one of the more expensive camping mattresses for couples that we’ve seen, but its sturdy construction makes it feel like a real bed. If your partner isn’t sure about camping, this mattress might convince them to try it.
The Exped MegaMat Duo 10 Insulated Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad inflates on its own but includes a mini pump as well so you can customize the firmness level. It also comes with a five-year warranty for any defects.
You can click here to visit Exped Amazon Store for more options from this bedding store.
8. Intex Classic Downy Airbed
Who doesn’t love a flocked, soft, mushy, and velvety top on their air mattress? I certainly do, as it helps with warmth, stability, and it just plain looks better than the usual vinyl top. And, I find that my sheets tend to stay in place better, too!
If you’re on a tight budget but still need a good camping mattress for couples to share with your partner, consider the Intex Classic Downy Airbed. This air mattress comes at an exceptionally affordable price tag, yet still delivers both quality and comfort.
The Intex Classic Downy Airbed features a waterproof design along with a flocked top to make it more comfortable. It also features a two-in-one valve for easier inflation and deflation. The mattress fits any standard queen-size sheets, so it’s easy to bring your sheets from home.
You can click here to visit Intex’s Amazon Store for more options from this bedding store.
9. KingCamp Deluxe Series Thick Self-Inflating Camping Sleeping Pad
If you MUST rough it (meaning there is no electricity), this sleeping pad will poof itself up all on its own! No need to drag around one of the pumps with you. The sleek design comes in double or single sizes and in several different colors to match my campground color scheme! Add a little splash of color to Mother Nature’s landscape!
This is quite a unique sleeping pad for couples. The KingCamp Deluxe Series Thick Self Inflating Camping Sleeping Pad takes advantage of jet stream foam to provide a comfortable sleep, as well as faster inflation and deflation. Instead of using a pump, simply open up its valves and it’ll inflate on its own while you finish setting up camp.
The KingCamp Deluxe Series Thick Self Inflating Camping Sleeping Pad comes in a variety of colors, as well as various size options, so you can choose the one that works best for you and your partner. Polyester 150-denier oxford material offers maximum durability, so it stands up to the roughness of camp life.
You can click here to visit KingCamp’s Amazon Store for more options from this bedding store.
10. SIHANM Inflatable Sleeping Pad for Camping Air Mattress
Are you into backpacking? My family loves to hike, so this is perfect for sleeping out under the night sky, use in the tent, or for stargazing. It is lightweight and packs up easily for attaching to our backpacks. And… I love the built-in pillows… no need to bring your own! We like to travel light… How about you?!?
The Sihanm Inflatable Sleeping Pad for Camping and Travel is a moderately priced camping mattress for couples that comes with everything you need for a comfortable night out camping.
It includes a 50-second foot pump, so it’s easy to use it off the grid while you’re out on the road. When it’s time to pack up, the single-cap valve makes deflation quick and easy.
The Sihanm Inflatable Sleeping Pad for Camping and Travel comes in a beautiful shade of blue; reminiscent of the beautiful sky!
This couples’ air mattress is made from nylon and thermoplastic polyurethane, which makes it lighter than many other air beds, as well as easier to fold up and store. The included storage bag keeps the mattress organized and easy to carry when not in use.
You can click here to visit Sihanm’s Amazon Store for more options from this bedding store.
Looking for a camping mattress for couples that suits your individual needs is super important! While camping, comfort is key, right? It can make or break a camping experience, especially if you’re new to camping. Even if you are roughing it… a cranky camper will make it worse; therefore, a restful night’s sleep is important for couples to enjoy their quality time together. One of these air mattresses is sure to be just what you need for your next camping excursion!