A lot of people think that their mattress is the reason they’re not getting quality shut-eye. What you may not realize is that your pillow also impacts your sleep because it affects the alignment of your spine. Choose the wrong pillow, and you might just end up with neck pain in the morning.
Swapping out your pillow for a better firm pillow can quickly improve the alignment of your neck and spine as well as your head when you lay down. The firm pillows listed in this post are perfect for side sleepers, and a few of the brands use special features and materials that also make them a great choice for people who sleep on their backs and stomachs.
While consumers can find a lot of firm pillows on the market today, not all of them provide that perfect balance between support and comfort. In this post, we take a look at some of the best firm pillows out there.
To us, value for your money is the most important aspect of buying a new firm pillow. With that in mind, the Beautyrest Extra Firm Pillow tops our list of best firm pillows. This is one of the more affordable options you’ll find on the market that still gives you a luxurious sleeping experience while keeping your spine perfectly aligned during the night. This pillow features an extra-firm support level, which means it is harder than your average firm pillow. At the same time, however, it does have a soft touch to ensure you still feel comfortable.
On the inside of the Beautyrest Extra Firm Pillow, you have a thick layer of NaturesLoft fiberfill. This is a high-quality material that can provide you with exceptional support. There is also a 2-inch layer of gusset that helps to enhance the supportive structure of the pillow. This pillow comes with a cover that is made from 400-thread-count Pima cotton.
Strengths We Love:
- This is a versatile pillow in the sense that back and side sleepers will find it useful in falling asleep faster and enjoying better sleep. You can also use it as a pillow between or under your knees, which will improve your sleeping posture.
- With its firm feel, it provides ample support for the neck and shoulders. These are pressure points that can become painful every morning with less support (i.e., kinks and knots in the muscles).
- Easy to keep clean with its thick cover and its wash-and-dry design. Just fluff it daily and wash in the washing machine at gentle setting on a regular basis.
- Despite its firm feel, it’s still quite soft so there’s a level of comfort to be enjoyed. It’s also a great pillow to prop against the headboard and lean back on since your head won’t sick too far back.
Things to Consider:
- The pillow may be too big so some people and its high loft may be inconvenient for stomach sleepers.
OMR Advantage Score: 9.5/10
If you can spend a little more on a single pillow, then definitely consider the Lincove 100% Canadian Natural White Down Luxury Sleeping Pillow, you definitely get true value for your money. The Lincove is made with hypoallergenic RDS certified goose and duck down. This special filling helps add just the right amount of firmness to the pillow while still allowing for customization that other firm pillows tend to lack, making this one of the best firm pillows.
The Lincove 100% Canadian Natural White Down Luxury Sleeping Pillow is currently available in three different sizes, as well as in soft, medium, and firm options. The 100% Sateen Cotton Shell cover is soft and durable. In addition, this pillow comes in a beautiful travel case, making it great for gift-giving.
Strengths We Love:
- The pillow’s aesthetic appeal and functional value are evident as soon as it’s removed from its travel case. The pristine white cover makes it easy to spot stains while the quality seams ensure the filling stays inside the cover.
- The plush feel and posh look with its high thread count sateen cotton shell makes it a perfect addition in contemporary bedrooms.
- The zippered pillow protector ensures that the filling stays in place, too. The filling not only stays inside but stays even in terms of distribution. This is important because a lumpy pillow contributes to the development of kinks and knots in the neck.
- There are no harmful chemicals used in its manufacture and it’s made of 100% ethically sourced geese and duck down. Talk about breathing and sleeping easy!
- This comes with a generous 30-day return policy. Just let the customer relations manager know about your unsatisfactory experience with it and either get a new one or a refund.
Things to Consider:
- The firmness level may not be suitable for people who like softer pillows.
OMR Advantage Score: 9/10
Next up on our list is another affordable pillow option. The Melody House Gusseted Quilted Pillows comes in a pack of two, and very reasonably priced. This gives you a set of one of the best firm pillows at a price that many other products with similar features won’t be able to beat.
If you decide to give the Melody House Gusseted Quilted Pillow a try, there are two different sizes to choose from. The queen-size (sold individually) is similar to any regular pillow that you can pick up in a store. The alternative size that you can choose from includes a two-pack of king size. These pillows are perfect for stomach, side, or back sleepers.
The Melody House Gusseted Quilted Pillows has a reinforced corded edge, giving the product exceptional strength and durability. This is one of the best soft to medium pillows, although it does provide the proper neck support. They are perfect pillows for people who suffer from allergies due to the hypoallergenic 100% cotton cover. The pillow is also machine washable, so no need to worry about how you will be keeping it clean.
Strengths We Love:
- These are suitable for back, side and even stomach sleepers because of their lower loft. With side and back sleepers, the loft is just right for enough support to the neck and shoulders. With stomach sleepers, the fairly flat loft means their neck isn’t too high up to cause temporary misalignment.
- These are hypoallergenic pillows that people with allergies, asthma and other sensitivities will truly appreciate.
- These are easy to care for since it only needs to be washed in a washing machine with cold water and on a gentle cycle. Be sure to use a low temperature during tumble dry.
- These are sturdy pillows because of their thick cotton cover, ample filling and corded edges. The overall quality and workmanship are superb for the price, too.
Things to Consider:
- These may be too firm for some people, but it’s a Goldilocks situation.
OMR Advantage Score: 8/10
Another excellent option that comes with several customizable features and a great price is the Queen Anne Pillow Company’s Goose and Duck Down Feather Pillow. Pricing for this particular pillow is a little pricier than average, depending on the size you order.
When you buy a Goose and Duck Down Feather Pillow, you can choose anything from the size of the product to its firmness. While the firm support level is an option, you can also choose a softer or even a medium option if you wish. Sizes include standard, queen, and king, and you should carefully select from the options to best suit your specific sleep position.
The Queen Anne Goose and Duck Down Feather Pillows feature duck down that is sourced by the RDS, the Responsible Down Standard, which ensures that the down is not live-plucked. The outside cover of the pillow is made from 100% cotton with a 300 thread count for improved breathability and comfort—and a softer touch—making this one of the best pillows on the market, often used by reputable hotels and cruise lines.
Next up is the WENERSI Premium Goose Down Pillows, another great option that might seem expensive at first—but the price includes two pillows. Additionally, the product is made by a brand that has more than 15 years of experience in the industry. They use top-quality materials in all of their products making them one of the best firm pillow options.
The WENERSI Premium Goose Down Pillows have a filling that combines 15% goose down with 85% goose feathers. The combo has been blended together to reduce the risk of laying down on a sharp feather. This adds comfort to your pillow, but, at the same time, you get a level of support that is perfect for improving your overall alignment.
The WENERSI Premium Goose Down Pillows are great for a variety of sleeping positions. While the firmness is a perfect choice for side sleepers, they are also a great choice for people who sleep on their backs. The pillow’s default is a queen-size firm pillow, but a variety of other options are available.
The BioPEDIC Firm Pillow is a high-quality option that comes in a variety of customizable options at an affordable price, making it another one of the best firm pillows on the market for stomach and back sleepers. Prices start at $30.09 for a standard-sized pillow. Queen and king size pillows are also available.
The BioPEDIC Firm Pillow is made from a polyester foam filling, which gives it just the right level of support and cushioning that your neck and head need for better alignment. The cover is made from quality cotton material using a unique technology known as Nanotex Coolest, which helps reduce your sleeping body temperature.
The BioPEDIC Firm Pillow is hypoallergenic, making it another great choice for allergy sufferers. For improved shape, there is a gusset that frames all sides of the pillow.
Our next pick for the best firm pillow is quite a unique option. The Sealy Essentials Memory Foam Gel Cooling Pillow has a general medium to firm-plush firmness to it but offers two sides made from different materials, making for a very unique sleeping experience. On one side, there is a layer of memory foam material to support your neck, while the other side features a gel layer that helps you stay cool during the night.
The Sealy Essentials Memory Foam Gel Cooling Pillow only comes in one size—standard—but the product also has a very affordable price tag. The thickness of the pillow measures around 5 inches, making it one of the best firm pillow options for any type of sleeping position.
The Seely Essentials Memory Foam Gel Cooling Pillow is machine washable and dryable – which may be surprising due to its gel component. Buy from a name you can trust in bedding… Seely!
The Tekamon Shredded Memory Foam Pillow is another unique entry on our list of the best firm pillows. The shredded memory foam creates a different way to cradle the shape of your head. This pillow offers a medium-to-firm level of support while being much more comfortable than some of the other pillows on the market.
The Telamon Shredded Memory Foam Pillow also comes with a bamboo cover. Bamboo is well known to be much cooler than cotton and other materials—keeping you cooler while you sleep. Bamboo is also naturally resistant to bacteria growth, hypoallergenic, and it’s eco-friendly, too.
The Coop Home Goods Premium Adjustable Loft memory foam pillow is another excellent option if you want to get your hands on a product that will put you in control of the firmness. The default firmness of this pillow seems to be adequate for most people, but if you wish to make adjustments, simply follow the simple steps that come with the product.
The Coop Home Goods Premium Adjustable Loft memory foam pillow features an internal structure made from a specially developed memory foam that is GREENGUARD Gold certified. The product also holds a CertiPUR-US certification. This means all the materials used to make this pillow are safe and free of chemicals that can be harmful to your health.
Pricing for the Coop Home Goods Premium Adjustable Loft memory foam pillow starts at just below $60. The product also comes in a king-size option. In case you are not happy with your new pillow, the manufacturer offers customers a full refund within the first 100 days, and if you keep it, there is a five-year warranty period.
We reach the end of our list of the best firm pillows with Dr. Loth’s SpineAlign Pillow. This popular pillow recently got an upgrade. Now, not only do they offer the standard version, but you can choose from a new size—queen. And the pillow got a physical upgrade as well. It now features two different sleeping systems in one single product, allowing you to choose how you want to sleep and still get just the right amount of firmness and support that your head and neck need.
Dr. Loth’s SpineAlign Pillow features multiple layers of foam filling installed on the inside, providing a unique customizable firmness level. If you find that the pillow is too firm for your head, then simply use the convenient zipper installed on the cover to remove some of the layers until you feel more comfortable.
On the outside of Dr. Loth’s SpineAlign Pillow, you have a Tencel fabric cover. This is a natural plant-based fabric gives you a soft surface to sleep on. The entire product features a CertiPUR-US certification, so you can rest assured that all the materials used in the manufacturing of the pillow have been tested and approved to be free of any harmful chemicals.
Choosing the right pillow for your sleeping position and habits is important. A firm pillow gives you a greater level of support compared to softer pillows. Finding a high-quality firm pillow ensures you sleep comfortably. There are a lot of firm pillows on the market, so you need to make sure the one you buy is made from the right materials and has the perfect level of support and cushioning to improve the alignment of your body for a better night’s sleep. Consider the best firm pillows that we shared in this post to elevate your sleeping experience.