Many of us grew up with a favorite quilt in our household and many cherish that memory so much that we take up quilting at some point in our lives. We love our quilts so much and wanted to share that passion with you. Here’s our guide that covers everything from the history of quilting to how to get started on your first quilt project.
The History of Quilting and Quilting Museums
Quilting has a rich history and it feels great to be part of that history and pass it on to the next generation.
- America’s Library: How a Quilt is Made
- The History of Quilts: 19th through 20th Centuries
- What Are Quilts?
- Quilts and Quiltmaking in America, 1978 – 1996 (Library of Congress)
- History in Quilts
- International Quilt Study Center and Museum
There is a large quilting community in the United States and around the world. You can become part of this larger community by attending shows.
- Quilt Guilds and Shows Worldwide
- Quilters’ Travel Companion – Quilt Shows in the United States and Canada
- Your Ultimate Guide to the Best Quilt Shows in the USA
- Quilt Shows and Quilt Events Calendar
Quilting for Charity
Your local quilting group can make a difference in a child’s life by donating your next quilt project to a charity.
- Quilting for a Cause: Charitable Organizations That Need Your Quilts!
- Quilting for Charity: Projects & Quilting Charities
- Quilter’s World Charity Giving: Make a Difference
- Quilts for Kids
- Free Charity Quilt Patterns
- A Listing of Charities for Quilt and Fabric Donations
- Quilting in America: Charity Quilting
- National Charities That Accept Quilts
Quilting Associations and Societies
A lot of the joy of quilting comes from your local community of quilters. There are many groups that you can become part of from local to national. Many have an online presence.
- The Quilt Alliance
- Quilting Community: A Listing of Registered Quilting Guilds
- International Quilt Association
- Professional Art Quilt Alliance
- The American Quilt Study Group
- American Quilter’s Society
Learning to Quilt
Getting started is the hardest part. Once you do, you’ll be hooked. Here are some learning tools for the beginner quilter.
- Windham Fabrics Free Quilting Projects
- Anita Grossman Solomon’s Hexagon CuttingLines Pattern (video)
- E-Quilter’s Patterns and Ideas
- Academy of Quilting: Your Online Quilting School
- All People Quilt: Quilting Basics
Quilting for Kids
Quilting is a great learning tool for kids. It teaches patience and discipline and focus. Plus they get to make something beautiful that they can be proud of. Here are some ideas for helping your kids make their first quilt.
- Basic Quilting Supplies for Beginners
- Quilting with Children
- Crafts for Kids: Tree of Life Paper Quilt
- Grandma’s Quilt Paper Craft for Kids
- Quilting Projects for Young Children
- Beginning Patchwork and Teaching Kids to Sew
- Let Your Kids Help Quilt: Tips to Getting Started
Yarn, Tools and Miscellaneous Quilting Supplies
You can’t quilt without the right tools. Here are some references to help you find the supplies and tools you need to become an expert quilter.
- At Home Textile Care for your Quilts
- Quilter’s World Magazine
- Quilting Terms, Tools and Supplies
- Care of Quilts: Storage and Display (PDF File)
- Ready, Set, Quilt: Tools for Beginner Quilters
- Fabric Width Conversion Chart